Friday, May 29, 2015

The 10 Commandments of drag (according to Sasha Renee)






Hello everyone! It's been a while. I've been busy with my work life, my music career, and so I haven't been out and about as much in the past few months. Now that things are settling now, I will have more time for more posts. I originally started this post a while ago, but there were a few things I thought about, considered, then reconsidered putting in the post. Over the past few years drag and the art of female illusion has gone quite commercial. Its evolution is quite amazing, but, just like anything, with the widespread fame and success comes the misconceptions and thought that "oh, anyone can do it." I know feel like I see drag queens everywhere! I even saw some local ads on the subway here in New York City featuring a drag queen (shout out to Tipsy Von Tart!). However with people thinking doing drag is easy, I'm here to set the record straight: I come from the old school of drag where you did it right or you didn't do it at all! Below are the 10 commandments that I go by when it comes to doing drag. I would love to hear your responses and feedback, so feel free to comment or drop me a line on facebook or hit up my Instagram page! Without further ado, I present my 10 Commandments of drag!



1. Thou shalt remain humble and kind to all! Our fans, friends, family, and supporters are a big reason for our fame/success. Be receptive to all (whether they are a veteran or newcomer). Much can be learned from many different people (you don't have to like or agree with what they say, but at least be receptive to their comments/suggestions/advice. Humility is the key (and most essential) ingredient to longevity in this industry. No one wants to work with a nasty queen no matter how fierce you are (or think you are)!









2. Thou shalt be professional and conduct themselves as such. This means being on time for shows, prepared with music (which means being in touch with the show director & DJ ahead of time), and with necessary materials (No you cannot borrow my wig, coat, belt, dress, costume,  or shoes! I busted my ass to get prepared for this gig. You should've done the same!). KNOW THE WORDS TO YOUR SONGS!


3. While this art form is a career/full-time job for some, competition (pageantry) for others, and supplementary for others, RESPECT ALL PERFORMERS AND WHAT THEY BRING TO THE INDUSTRY! This means that you should know your worth and not be afraid to demand it when getting booked. I see too many queens taking $25 bookings and whatnot, which undermines others. This leads to bar owners and show directors being cheap and not wanting to pay us our worth. $25? #FOH! I pay more than that on tights, nails, and lashes (not to mention travel expenses and time!).

4. Thou shalt realize that doing charity/benefit shows is a part of the industry. Giving back to the community is a part of the job AND is an often overlooked part of longevity (show bookings are another thing. See commandment #3).

5. Thou shalt realize and respect that this is an art form that has been around for a long time and that many have come before us and paved the way. Respect your elders!



6. Thou shalt wear pads, nails, and lashes (no matter how great you think you look without them). Padding gives you that feminine shape and curves that men don't have. Nails feminize your hands and make them look smaller (there's nothing worse than saying a queen with a beat face, padded body, great outfit, and "man hands"). Lashes complete the look and, if you're on stage big lashes show. In general, when on stage, you have to go bigger than you think so that it shows on stage from afar. 












7. Thou shalt invest in quality products & practice their craft. Quality and expensive aren't always the same. I've seen some queens look a hot mess using MAC and some look flawless using drug store brands BUT that's because these queens have practiced their craft.
















8. Thou shalt learn how to sew (very valuable in the drag industry).

9. Thou shalt not perform a top 40 hit unless it's in a mix (otherwise people can just turn on the radio and hear the same thing)

10. Thou shalt no go directly off the rack and to the stage (nobody wants to see you perform in something they can go to a store and buy). I'm not saying that you can't buy from retailers. Just be sure to strategically style it. Take the time to personalize/customize the piece(s) so that it displays your own swag.

Jacket by Ashley Stewart
Jacket & bra by Ashley Stewart. Pants from American Apparel. Corset homemade!






















If you REALLY know me and rock with me, then you know that there is an 11th commandment (which I'm not going to post here!). 

You may agree with (some of) this post and you may not agree at all. Either way, I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments about it, so drop me a line. 

Until next time, remember, "being beautiful is not just about what you wear!"


No comments:

Post a Comment