Monday, June 1, 2015

The Survival Kit for Full Figured Fashion Week® 2015

Hello all! We are officially two weeks away from one of my favorite times of the year: FULL FIGURED FASHION WEEK! This time last year, we were all bracing ourselves for the finale. People from all corners of the full figured and plus size community reluctantly accepted the announcement from Ms. Gwen DeVoe that Full Figured Fashion Week 2014 was the end of an amazing run. Well, lucky for us, Full Figured Fashion Week is back and will be bigger than ever! Fit for Me (by Fruit of the Loom) is the the major sponsor and there are a bunch of wonderful events taking place during the whole week. For a list of events and for tickets, go to the Full Figured Fashion Week official page. Whether this will be your first time coming to New York City for Full Figured Fashion Week or if you've been here before, below you will see a list of things I think you should have in order to have an enjoyable week! I want to also give a big shout out to Nikki Lee, who inspires me two write this article every year (I read her article the first year I came to FFFW!). So without further ado, here's the FFFW2015 survival kit list:

1. Cash


New York is a fast paced city, and so while it may seem more convenient or faster to use a debit/credit card to do transactions, having cash in hand is better at times. If you don't feel comfortable carry a lot of cash on you, make time in your schedule to go to an ATM each day. There are ATMs at least every other block or so in Manhattan, so finding one shouldn't be a problem.

You'll want to use cash for moments like taking a cab, going out to eat with friends (isn't it annoying when you have to split the bill 11 ways and everyone puts down their card?), and in some parts of the city restaurants and bars are cash only. You should also have a little cash on you in case of an emergency.



2. Flats 
New York is also a commuter's city. Our subway system here in New York is one of the best in the world. You do not want to be on the subway in heels. Your feet will die a slow, swollen, and painful death! Prepare to do a lot of walking, so invest in a pair of flats. If you're going on the "Curves at Sea" All white cruise, your heels will look cute and feel good for the a little while, but once you start walking around the boat and then dancing to the awesome tunes from the DJ, you're going to want to put on the flats to dance and turn up! For those who have big feet and are concerned with finding a pair of flats, I recommend Fit in Clouds foldable flats. I wear a size 15/16 in heels and fit comfortably into their size 14 (I own 3 pairs). Trust me: your feet will thank you at the end of the night. Also plan on soaking your feet and elevating them when you're back in the hotel (or wherever you're staying).

3. Business Cards 


Full Figured Fashion Week will be full of opportunities to network. You want to be sure to have some business cards handy so that you can swap information with bloggers, models, photographers, and other FFFW supporters. Pulling out the phone, entering a number, email address, facebook page, and instagram page can be time consuming. Getting/giving a card is much faster. You can into all the other info when you get home later that night. If you don't have cards, you can easily get some basic ones made at sites like Vistaprint or at your local Staples. Just be sure to have something to give to people.

4. Fan & Hats 


It'll be June in New York city (aka the "concrete jungle"). It's going to be hot! During the day, if you're going to be out and about, you might want to consider wearing a hat that will keep the sun off of you. I also can't sayt enough how wonderful it is to have a fan (I'm known for my fans!). It will get hot in some crowded places and it will also be hot under stage lights and whatnot. Do yourself a favor and bring a fan so you can stay cool. Don't be one of those people using a program handout to fan like you're an old lady in church!











5. Small washcloth, blotting sheets, loose powder, powder brush, and small compact mirror.



As aforementioned, it's going to be hot here in New York. I have oily skin, so I have to constantly check to make sure my face isn't shiny. A great way to maintain that matte look through the night is by having some blotting powder handy. I also try to keep a small washcloth handy to dab my forehead if I start to sweat (tissue/paper towel can leave little pieces stuck to your forehead and face). I also carry a case of my loose setting powder and a big powder brush so that I can reapply in the bathroom mirror. Keep a small compact mirror handy so you can quickly check yourself out (it's OK. It's FFFW, so we won't judge you or think you're vain for wanting to look good in pictures).

6. Dryer sheets or small bottle of hairspray


Now I know that some people may be wondering why I'm mentioning dryer sheets. Well, if you've followed this blog or have chatted with me (on facebook or in person), you'll know that one of the tricks I use for keeping hair in place is dryer sheets. You only need a sheet or two and if you go over your hair with it, your hair will stay out of your face all night (remember that dryer sheets are meant to prevent/stop static). If you want to style/freeze your hair, that is where the hairspray comes in. It can also just be a reinforcement of the process you just did with the dryer sheets as well.


7. Camera & accessories 


So I shouldn't even have to put this on the list. This is a definite must have.  The reason why I'm including it on this year's list is because many people will bring their camera, but they will forget to pack their charger and other things! Those other things can include (but are not limited to) extra batteries and additional memory cards. I always have my camera, an extra battery, and an additional memory card. Some people may opt to use their phone, but that can also drain your phone battery quickly (refer to item #8 on this list). Be sure to charge your camera and your extra batteries, It would also be a good idea to empty out your memory cards before coming to New York.


8. Cell phone and portable charger





                     


In a city like New York, having a cell phone is useful. Not only will you need to make phone calls and send text messages, but some people may choose to use the camera on their phone.You'll use your phone for looking up directions or to locate a bar/restaurant. You will also use apps like twitter, face chat, Instagram, Facebook, and maybe Uber, which will all drain your phone's battery quickly. You should be sure to have a portable charger (please don't be that person at the bar asking the bartender if you can charge your phone for a few minutes) or have an additional battery. I went on amazon and purchased an additional battery for my Samsung Galaxy for less than $15. Trust me, you will use your phone a lot, so get a portable charger or an additional battery!


9. Bobbie Pins, safety pins, travel size sewing kit




Have you ever been out and popped the strap on an outfit, gotten a hole or snag or wanted to just change up you hairstyle while out? All of these things have happened to me before and I learned my lesson the first time I popped a strap and wasn't prepared. You never know when you (or a friend) will be in need of a safety pin, bobbie pin, or something from a sewing kit (I have sewed up snags and rips for friends in the bathroom before!). In this instance, it's better to be prepared than regretful when it happens. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the regular sized packages of pins, so that it where Tic Tac or Altoids cases come in handy! You can put a few pins in those cases and voila! You're ready to roll with an emergency repair kit!

10. Camera- ready Outfits

                   
Again, this is something I shouldn't have to mention, but I will just in case you're not sure what Full Figured Fashion Week is about! This is the week where the industry's biggest and best are celebrated. There will be cameras everywhere, so you should be ready to smile a lot, take tons of pictures, have your picture taken, and share lots of laughs and good times with friends old and new. When I say camera-ready outfits, I mean from head to toe! This includes your accessories. Make sure your accessory game is on point. Whether you know it or not, everything comes out in pics, from your handbags to your shoes, to your necklaces and rings. This is your opportunity to play dress up, get dolled up, and show out, so take advantage! Also, be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get ready and to travel to the events without having to rush (I confess that I'm guilty of this!). The less you rush, the less you'll be sweaty, hot, bothered, and agitated before even arriving! The worse thing that will happen by arriving early will be that you'll have more time to meet people and take pictures!

Other things that I considered putting on this list include:
- mints
- baby wipes
- Tide pen
- Nail glue

Well, that's it from me for now. I hope that you find this post to be helpful. If you are coming to Full Figured Fashion Week and you see me, please come and say hello! I love meeting new people and would love to learn about you and what brought you to FFFW2015! Be well and I look forward to seeing many of you at the events. Take care, and remember: "Being beautiful is not just about what you wear!"

For more info about Fruit of the Loom, click here, and for The Fit for Me line, click here.

- Sasha

No comments:

Post a Comment